Llano Volksmarch

Llano calls itself the “Deer Capital of Texas” and the Chamber of Commerce and other businesses around town have decorated fiberglass deer on display, so while doing this Volksmarching event we were keeping an eye out for the deer. It wasn’t hard to find the first two, they were near where we parked to start the walk.

Blue deer with a railroad car on its side and a railroad bridge on its rump with bluebonnets on its hind leg.

Red deer with beads on its head and a gold mask on its face is ready for Mardi Gras.

Pat and Darlene working start table. Carol registering for the walk.

Walk went under the beautiful Inks truss bridge, which carriers TX-71 and TX-16 over the Llano River.

Dam holds drinking water for the city of Llano.

Nice rock outcroppings highlight the hike/bike trail along the river.

Carol & Ed posed with some more rocks.

New disc golf course opened in 2016.

Badu Building was originally a bank. It is now a restaurant.

View from Inks Bridge of the water treatment plant.

Historical marker about Llano County.

Confederate Memorial erected in 1915.

Octagonal bandstand on the courthouse lawn was our checkpoint location.

Texas State Flag Deer

Down a solid cement alley wall there is a
series of four murals made to look like windows.

Further down the alley was The Purple Bear on the side of building.

“Let there be songs to fill the air” mural on front of building.

The Grateful Dead “Dancing Bears” first appeared on the rear cover of “History of the Grateful Dead, Vol. 1” album.

Hill Country Gifts and Wild Herbs has a garden mural.

First Christian Church is a white rock church with wood tower built circa 1888.

Grace Episcopal Church was also built in 1888.

O’Henry School was built in 1887. Addition was added in 1902.

Dr. Buck at the Baylor Scott & White Clinic.

Realistic looking deer in Tom & Mary Phema Moore Memorial Park

Llano Lodge #242 AF&AM built in 1907.

Llano County WWI Memorial features a doughboy going
over the top created by Frank Teich and John Paulding.

Built as the Granite City Hotel in 1929 it
is now the County Jail and Tax Office.

Built in 1939 as a public library with WPA funding.
Now it is the Llano County Clerk’s office.

Outdoor grill (fake). Fiberglass deer has a door cut in his side.

University of Texas colored deer with “Hook Em Horns” on its chest.

We stopped by the Earth Art Festival.

Ed with some of the stacked rock formations.

View of the festival from Inks Bridge as we head back to the finish.

Still working on this one.

Nice turtle.

Not sure what this is supposed to be.

More stacked rocks (it is a long bridge to walk over after all).

Lovely old building.

Deer with Inks Bridge and the river on his side at the Visitor Center Entrance.

“Joy in the Hill Country” sculpture in the Visitor's Center garden.

Top of the “Butterfly Garden” sculpture also in the Visitor's Center Garden.