Gonzales Year Round Event

The Gonzales County Jail was built in 1887 and was in use until 1975. John Wesley Hardin was once jailed here.

Enter here to register for the volksmarch.

The golden steer weathervane (made of gold leaf) sits atop the Gonzales Fire Station.

The last man hanged in Gonzales was in 1921. He claimed he was innocent and to prove that he was, he said the clock he watched out his jail window would never keep time again. Through the years, and many attempts to fix them, the clocks have rarely been accurate.

Honoring 50 years of Community Service by the Spade & Trowel Garden Club.

Posts hold the imprint of the cattle brands of Gonzales County.

“Come and Take It” flag.

Presbyterian Church of Gonzales. This sanctuary was built in 1925.

First Baptist Church built in 1902 is a brick Gothic style.

Legend of the Sand Dollar sculpture at the First Baptist Church. (Detour 1/2 block to see)

Historical Marker in front of house that the survivors of the Alamo returned to. (Detour around the corner to see)

Soloman Joseph House, circa 1898

Gray Granite marker that denotes the burial place of the “Come and Take It” cannon. (Detour 1/2 block to see.)

The beautiful 3-story dark red brick courthouse with cast stone details was built in 1896.

Come and Take It Monument

Bronze bas-relief showing eight Texian militia men moving the cannon is on the front of the monument.

Masonic Lodge No. 30 A.F. & A.M. was chartered on Jan. 17, 1847, and has been located at this location since 1897.

This monument was erected in honor of the local Confederate soldiers who perished during the war. It was created by Frank Teich, a famed sculptor and stonecutter who worked on several projects across the state of Texas. (The dove is real, he knew he was safe and wouldn't leave his perch)

Light Follows Darkness Sundial – the gnomon which casts the shadow onto the dial has been removed.

Randle-Rather Building completed in 1896. In 1900 James Randle started the Gonzales National Bank which was located in this building.

The Lynn Theatre opened in 1947. It was named after its owner.

Coca Cola ghost sign. It was painted on the brick wall of the 1888 Frederich Reese Building

J. F. Remschel House, circa 1907

John Fauth House, circa 1869

Edward Lewis House, circa 1910

Kennard House, Queen Anne Victorian circa 1895.

J.P Randle House, circa 1898

Episcopal Church of the Messiah – built in 1882.

No marker on this beauty.

C. T. Rather House, circa 1892

C.H. Hoskins House, circa 1911.

The commission created by the Texas legislature in 1935 to oversee Texas’ Centennial joined with the public works administration to build a memorial to Texas revolution events in Gonzales. The memorial includes a museum, amphitheatre and reflecting pool designed by acclaimed architects Phelps & Dewees.

Bronze relief art on the Monument to the Thirty-Two Gonzales men who died at the Alamo by Raoul Jossett.

Marker on the Museum

Relief art decorating the Gonzales Memorial Museum.

“The Old Eighteen” tablet honoring settlers credited with firing the first shot of the Texas Revolution.

The actual 6 lb canon that fired the first shot of the revolution.

Part of a mural in the left room of the museum.

Part of a mural in the right room of the museum.

The Amphitheater behind the museum that was part of the WPA project.

Plaque about the Eggleston family. A husband, wife, mother-in-law, and 5 kids lived in this two room cabin!

Horace Eggleston House.

Room to the right.

The room to the left.

Headquarters of the Thomas Shelton Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic.

School Gym built by the WPA.

G.F. Burgess House, circa 1897

Queen Ann Victorian style circa 1897.

Bell tower of St. James Catholic Church

Old Magnolia sign.

Old Magnolia Gas Station from 1936.

Neon Mobil Oil Pegasus above the vintage gas station.

Anyone know what this was used for?

Red brick Queen Ann Victorian style circa 1898.

Cross made of living plants at the Methodist Church.

Mural inside the fellowship hall of the Methodist Church.

Cutouts for a photo in front of the former Gonzales County Jail