Denton Volksmarching Event

Dave was working the start table.

Chatting with Helen before starting.

Ed checking out the Hermon Lee Ensign horse fountain.
It was donated by the National Humane Alliance in 1911.

We detoured from the official walk route to cross
this arched rock bridge to visit Quakertown Park.

We found this stained-glass memorial to
Pops Carter, a local blues legend.

Back on the walk route we passed some pretty
purple iris along a stream of river rock.
“O Be Joyful,” depicts two sisters
dancing with outstretched arms.

Festival In Motion, a.k.a. Woman Rolling Down a Hill,
donated by the Denton Festival Foundation in May 2004.

Elk statue is located next to Elk’s Lodge #2446.

Postcard style mural by Mick Burson.

An empty 2-story power generating plant building
was converted for use as Central Fire Station.
There is a fire fighting museum located here also.
Warehouse and feed mill built in 1941
for the Kimbell-Diamond Milling Company.

Train mural on Patterson-Appleton Arts Center by Mick Burson.

Abstract Train Mural on the same building by
the same artist. I like the first one better.

Carol headed toward the transit center.

Bob was manning checkpoint #1 at the transit center.

Heart graffiti/mural on an empty
building along the railroad tracks

Scrap Mural by Mick Burson.

Looks like an old gas station!

Retired bell from old John B. Denton
College, in the courtyard at the First
United Methodist Church.
1st United Methodist Church takes up a whole
city block with 3 buildings and a parking lot.

Fuzzy’s would have been a good place to
stop for lunch, but it was too early.

Jackalope sitting on a trailer.

The Wright Opera House opened in 1901. It
hosted popular operas and other shows of the
era. It also doubled as a saloon until 1913.
Couldn’t get a good picture of the whole mural
as cars were parked in front of it. This one
was done by art students of Denton High School.

The central octagonal dome of the courthouse
has four clocks – but they're not working.

Ornate handles on the courthouse doors.

Out of place grave of Col. John B. Denton: pioneer lawyer,
preacher, and soldier. He’s buried on the courthouse lawn.

Old bank building from 1913 with a “Temple” design
entrance. It has a marble veneer with huge columns.
Above the entrance is some elaborate decorations.

Bronze tornado of leaves, pine cones, and acorns
by David C. Iles in front of the former bank.

Confederate Soldiers Memorial on the
lawn of the Denton County Courthouse.

Walkers ahead of us at Checkpoint #2 .

A multi-war memorial on the southwest
corner of the old county courthouse.

Art Deco building dates from 1890, with
alterations made to it in 1925, and later
in 1960. It was originally called the Texas
Theater, but was renamed Fine Arts Theater in 1957.

A watercolor of the 1896 Denton Courthouse by C. Reid.
Built in 1915, this was the first building
on the square to be built with a steel frame.

The Campus Theatre was built in 1949. It was
one of three owned by Interstate Theatres.
It closed its doors in 1985.

Purple Shamrock is mainly a houseplant, but we
found this one blooming in an outdoor planter.

Another Mick Burson mural. This one
is on the side of Creative Art Studio.
Bell tower of St. Andrew Presbyterian, built in 1942.

Built in 1882, the R.C. Scripture Building
is home to Dix Coney Island.

1936 Texas Centennial Marker across
the street from where the walk turned.

Old City Hall was built in 1927. It was designed by
the prominent Fort Worth architectural firm Van Slyke
and Woodruff in the Spanish Renaissance style.

A mural painting class at the University of
North Texas College of Visual Arts and Design
painted this mural in 2016.

Passed this fountain near the entrance to
Cupboard Natural Foods, and the walk is done.