|In 1920, noted Texas architect Henry T. Phelps designed the First State Bank, which now houses the Eastland County Museum. The walk started here.
|Eastland County Courthouse.
|One of Eastland’s claim to fame is a horny toad named Old Rip, who survived being walled-up inside the courthouse cornerstone, then, after waking up when the cornerstone was opened 30 years later, went on a nationwide tour. Poor Old Rip now lays in a coffin in the Courthouse for all to see.
|One of the great Eagles decorating the courthouse building.
Another of Eastland’s great ideas was to create works of art all over town. They call it their “Outdoor Art Museum”. There are 42 of them around town. We passed 19 of them while doing our volksmarch.
|Charles M. Russell
|Cat in the Hat.
|First Christian Church circa 1907.
|First United Methodist Church circa 1920.
|Eastland City Cemetery.
|Veteran's Memorial Area in the cemetery.
|Joe Burkett built this home in 1919-1920. It was remodel in 1930.
|Church of Christ.
|High school circa 1920.
|City Park built by the WPA in 1925.
|Old WPA bathroom still stands but new ones have been put into service.
|WPA picnic table.
|Ed at the other gate posts near the overlook.
|Cement lion in the park.
|Carol reading the marker next to the lion.
|More gate posts at Commerce Street.
|Another section of the veteran's memorial.
|WPA Post Office with Train, Plane and Boat artwork above the door.
|WPA mural in the post office.
|Stamp mural in the post office.
The stamp mural created by Marene Johnson who was the Postmistress from 1957-196. She used 11,217 stamps to create this mural. Truly a work of art.
|Old RIP sculpture.
|Old Ranch Bell.
|Majestic Theater circa 1920 is still showing movies.
|The old jail was built in 1897 and was in use until 1980.
|Vincent van Gogh slight detour off walk route.
|A tombstone-like granite marker, “Last Mob Lynching In Texas.” Not far from the van Gogh.
|This huge can of Campbell’s Tomato Soup was spotted as we were driving out of town.